How Rent is Set

How Much Will I Pay for My Apartment?

Newmarket Housing Authority (NHA) first calculates a household’s maximum housing voucher subsidy, or the total amount that NHA will pay toward rent each month. This amount is based on the payment standard. The maximum amount NHA will pay toward rent is calculated by subtracting 30% of the household’s monthly adjusted income from the payment standard. If the unit rents for less than the payment standard, the household will still pay 30% of its monthly adjusted income.

Your family may rent a unit with more bedrooms than the number on your voucher, but the payment standard amount is based on the unit size for which your family is eligible. Your family may also rent a unit with fewer bedrooms than is listed on your housing voucher – but must meet certain state and federal laws. For example, there can be no more than two persons per living/sleeping room.

Your family’s rent and utilities will depend on the unit you choose. If the apartment rent amount is higher than the payment standard, your family will pay more than 30% of its monthly adjusted income. Your family will not have to pay more than 40% of your adjusted income even if the apartment is much higher than the payment standard.

2023 Payment Standards – Effective January 1, 2023

SRO $792
0 Bedroom $1056
1 Bedroom $1355
2 Bedroom $1563
3 Bedroom $1932
4 Bedroom $2240


If the utilities are not included in the rent, you will have to pay for the utilities yourself. This does not necessarily mean that you will be paying more of your monthly income toward housing costs because the apartment you choose should have a lower rent if the utilities are not included.

If utilities are included in your rent, you will not have to pay any separate utility companies.

If utilities are not included in your rent, you are responsible to pay the utility bills directly to the utility company or companies.

It is important to plan accordingly and budget to make these payments on time!

Landlord Request for Rent Increase

Your landlord may request a rent increase after you have been in your apartment one year. If the rent request is made, your landlord is required to give you and NHA a 60-day notice. NHA will determine if the rent increase amount is reasonable. If NHA approves the request, you will receive a notice from NHA informing you of the rent adjustment.


In accordance with HUD regulations, all HCV families are recertified once a year. The purpose of this is to make certain the information NHA has about the family’s composition, income, and deductions are correct and to determine the rental portion to be paid to Newmarket Housing Authority.

To accomplish this, packets are sent to each family. The family must complete and return their packets to this office. If the family fails to comply and/or complete their annual recertification within the allotted time frame, they will be terminated from the program for non-compliance of federal regulations.

Once the family’s recertification is reviewed, calculated, and entered into the software system, the landlord and family will receive a letter which shows the family’s new rental portion.


Tenants are required to report any change in my household’s income or family composition within 10 days of the change. Changes and required verifications must be received prior to the 20th of each month for a decrease on the first of the following month.

If anyone moves out of your household, you must report this change, in writing, within 10 days of the change. The family must obtain approval of any additional family member before the new member occupies the unit except for additions by birth, adoption, or court awarded custody, in which case the family must inform the Housing Authority in writing within 10 consecutive days. Such additions will not result in a change of bedroom size if the family size still conforms to the maximum occupancy guidelines for that unit. The subsidy size will be reevaluated at your next annual recertification. The Housing Authority will conduct determinations of eligibility for all additions to the household prior to giving approval.

If tenants do not report a change in household income or the people living in my household within 10 days, the Housing Authority will increase your rent retroactively or refuse to decrease my rent until the following full month, or the Housing Authority will begin eviction proceedings. Intentionally falsifying statements or information may constitute a crime and are grounds for eviction.


Income changes must be reported in writing to the Housing Authority. You can mail, fax (603-659-6501) or email ( the change and supporting documentation. Changes and required verifications must be received prior to the 20th of each month for a decrease on the first of the following month.