NHA staff evaluate each individual application and make an eligibility decision. Here are some general guidelines that NHA uses to assess your eligibility:
Check the most current income limits and public housing income deductions and exclusions.
Housing Choice Voucher Income Limits
- 1 Person: $37,350
- 2 Person: $42,650
- 3 Person: $48,000
- 4 Person: $53,000
- 5 Person: $57,600
- 6 Person: $61,850
- 7 Person: $66,100
- 8 Person: $70,400
Public Housing Income Limits
- 1 Person: $55,950
- 2 Person: $42,650
- 3 Person: $71,950
- 4 Person: $79,900
- 5 Person: $86,300
- 6 Person: $92,700
- 7 Person: $99,100
- 8 Person: $105,500
Background check for criminal history, eviction records, ability to pay rent on time and maintain a clean and healthy home. This will be verified by current and previous landlords references.
- Family composition: Households are assigned a specific number of bedrooms based on family size, usually 1-2 people per bedroom.
- Identification: All adult household members must have a valid photo ID.
- Social Security number/citizenship: Each household member have a Social Security number or certify that he/she has no number. Each household member must document that he/she is a U.S. citizen, or has eligible non-citizen status.
Why You Could Be Denied
- If any household member has been evicted from a federally funded housing development or has had federal rental assistance terminated by a public housing agency within the last five years.
- If the applicant has any outstanding past debts with NHA or any other subsidized housing programs. To be considered, applicants must pay the debt in full before entering the final eligibility determination process.
- If any household member is required to register as a lifetime sex offender.
- If any household member has been convicted or found guilty of producing methamphetamine on subsidized properties.
What Do I Need to Apply?
You will need to provide the information listed below for all members of your household included on your application if they will be living with you at the time you are housed with the BHA.
- Photo identification for the individual(s) returning the completed application.
- Your mailing address including the correct zip code.
- Social Security numbers for all members of your household.
- Date of birth for all members of your household.
- Completed and signed application
Due to the number of applicants on our waiting lists, NHA cannot provide immediate housing. NHA is unable to predict when screened and approved applicants will be housed. Please refer to our Resources page for more options.