Private landlords are essential partners in NHA’s Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance program.
Families that receive rental assistance pay a predetermined portion of their income toward their rent. NHA pays the remainder of the rent, up to the applicable payment standard, directly to the landlord.
The benefits for landlords who participate in the program include:
- Consistent and On-Time Rent Payment – NHA pays its portion of the contract rent through direct deposit to the landlord’s bank between the 1st and the 5th of each month
- Filling Vacancies Quickly – NHA maintains a wait list of families for the rental assistance program. Tenants are always available immediately.
- Landlord Stays in Control – Landlords retain the right to pre-screen and select the tenants they want. A landlord may terminate tenancy at the end of any lease term without cause by providing the tenant and NHA at least a 30-day notice to vacate in writing.
- Enhanced Customer Service – Includes unit inspections at least every two years and self-certification of repairs for qualified landlords.
- Safeguard Against Lost Rent During Eviction – If a landlord evicts a tenant for violations of the lease agreement, NHA will continue to pay NHA’s share of the rent throughout the eviction process until the date the tenant moves out or is locked out.
- Personal Satisfaction – Participating landlords have the satisfaction of providing needed housing at market rates for low-income families, seniors, and individuals with disabilities.